Thursday, April 13, 2006

Then and Now

Just look at the time. Somehow, after working madly at jobs, trying to weather two recessions, finding a boyfriend, going to graduate school, getting married, surviving family crises, witnessing friends' pregnancies and guy problems and everything in-between, I am facing my 15-year college reunion.

But forget all of that. What's important is how much college style has changed. A mere 15 years ago, I strutted my stuff underneath layers of used men's Levis, extra large sweatshirts and clunky doc martins.

Now I see coeds tottering around in the highest of heels, the smallest of minis, what might pass for a slip of a shirt, and sometimes even, the back of a thong peeping out. On purpose, a la Britney.

Or course, some may see this as an improvement. After all, showing more skin could be seen as cute. But to me, it’s the Hollywood teen culture forcing its way onto campus grounds.

I know this is going to sound weird coming from me. And this is not coming from my inner prude. But bottom line, college for me is where you get four years to read, argue, discuss, even bullshit. Not just about the best outfit to wear, but what you think about the world. Unless you are actually attending FIT, fashion should not be top of mind. Yes, I know that Abercrombie and Fitch is here to stay, but I don't have to like it.

Look, I'm not saying you shouldn't shower or look good. And I'm certainly not suggesting that you don't have fun. But back in the day, I could live on my measly hourly wage working on campus. I didn't own a TV, a DVD, a laptop or a wardrobe. I also wasn't in credit card debt and wasn't subsumed by the incredibly distracting world of consumer goods. That was for the decade after college.

It was fun to be creative with little money and not much fashion sense. Now, of course, there are so many ways to get cheap goods: Forever 21, H & M, Urban Outfitters, the list goes on. But to me, it just looks like a faster road to adulthood, without being able to enjoy the ride.

No comments: