Sunday, March 26, 2006

A Wedge Issue

Forget about clothes making the man. It's all about shoes making the woman. At least that's the way I walk through life. I've noticed lately that the wedge has cycled back from the 70s. Very my mom circa 1978, stepping out in one of her many pairs of platforms, three inches or more of pure fox, complete with denim skirt and tube top. She was a Ms. She'd heard the click. She'd marched for civil rights and women's rights, and for the most part, she'd won.

My coming-of-age shoe was the Doc Martin. I had a pair in dark green suede. They looked like lace-up men's shoes, because they were. They said rocker and rebel all in one, especially when paired with a floral-print Laura Ashley dress, as my friend Rebecca wore on the occasion of our college graduation.

I have long since dumped my Docs for the wedge, but I wonder -- will I still have the freedoms my mom enjoyed back in the 70s or will I just share the shoes?

Outstanding female college applicants are being rejected because admissions committees feel they've got to stick to a 50-50 balance of the sexes and leave some of the best students behind, instead of conceding the statistical reality that there are simply more highly qualified women applying to college than men.

South Dakota Gov. Mike Rounds has told the women of its state they're not capable of making decisions about their own bodies -- can a Supreme Court decision reversing Roe v. Wade be very far in our future?
I only hope I can walk in my mom's shoes.

No comments: