Friday, March 24, 2006

Dame's Eye View

Change, thy name is woman. What says change more than getting rid of those tired, corrupt men we keep seeing in Congress? How about women? After all, women candaidates could do no worse. Really. They might even do better, especially if they're pro-choice. The New York Times article today dubs the trend as "the revenge of the mommy party." Well, okay, Times. That's not pejorative in any way I can think of. But whatever the recipe for change, the dems certainly do need a recipe.

Use it in sentence. Don't get napolied. I'm not going to describe it here, but suffice to say, stay out of S. Dakota.

I am feeling betrayed by the Gap. They did come through for me in college, when everthing I wore was two sizes too large and my tastes could be satisfied with jeans and a T. But now I'm told I've aged out of that demographic and am being marketed to with a new store concept called Forth and Towne. Okay, I may be having issues with being lumped in as over 35. (I'm 36.) But when I can go to Zara and H&M, why would the Gap company open a new chain for, as the SF Chronicle put it, "mature" shopping tastes? Isn't this the kind of thing they eat up at the Mall of America, mid-West crowd, where people over 35 still wear pleated pants with pockets and high waists? And when did the Gap decide they should be our cradle to grave outfitter? Soon will it be ElderGap for the really, really mature taste? May your high-waisted pants be turned back by the hipster over-35, low-rise pants wearing women.

No comments: