Thursday, March 27, 2008

It Is What It is
America doesn't want to choose. That's been clear by the inability of either Democratic candidate in this year's primaries to scooch ahead. But the annoyance that the media has shown toward Hillary (why doesn't she step aside already) doesn't gel with the feelings of the country. If the country felt that way, they would vote straight Obama and not split the vote, the delegates and status of frontrunner. This may happen next month, but until then, why should Hillary back down? The truth is, Obama fought just as hard to make sure that Florida and Michigan wouldn't count, because it wouldn't help him. As Gail Collins points out in her column in today's New York Times:


But the idea that Clinton would quit at this juncture goes contrary to every single thing we have learned about her over the past 17 years. She may irritate people. She may lose the health care initiative. She may even imagine that she was under fire in Bosnia when in fact she was standing on the tarmac accepting flowers from a little blonde girl. But she never gives up.

The one unassailable fact about Hillary Clinton is not that she’d make the best decision when the phone rings at 3 a.m. in the White House. It’s that if the phone rang at the same time that her polls were at 12 percent and her attorney general was under indictment and the economy was in the tank and California had just broken off and fallen into the sea, she would still pick up the receiver.

2 comments:

LJK said...

I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for yet. I'm a Punahou School alumnus (like Obama), but I can't say he's my favorite. Though I can't say Hilary is my favorite either...

Anyways, I heard about your blog from that show you did on B-Side radio. I liked it a lot. I am sort of a public radio junkie. You know the type :)

Great blog. I will definitely link you.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.