Friday, March 30, 2007

This Girl Needs to be Called a Woman

You know, this might be something I'd expect to see in a lesser rag, but the NY Times? The Thursday Style section, which hello -- can we just talk about what is the deal with every paper getting "Style" these days? It's like I can't open a paper without some lightweight content directed at women that seems to sidestep the otherwise highish standards of said paper. I digress.

So, this week's "Critical Shopper" column is titled "What Every Precocious Girl Needs." What would you think this column was about? Well, if you are me, you'd think it was about a children's store, but you (um, I) would be wrong.

I will grant that "girl" has its place. Girlish, girlie, girl-like, sure. But precocious girls are still girls. This shopper column was about a women's clothing store. Hey, Times, like I said, cut the Style crap and get it right. If you want to talk about a store for women, call it that. Even if it's for immature women.


No comments: