Monday, May 22, 2006

Digital Un-Dead

My sister died in 2004. But to look at my calendar updates, you'd never know it. She's in my Amazon address book (several times -- she had a tendency to move), she's in my cell phone contacts, her birthday reminder pops up on my Palm Pilot. My Hotmail account has a Carolla folder, named for my sister. I still have an e-mail she sent me on my birthday in 2001. Before 9/11. Before she was diagnosed with cancer.

We of the technorati age have a back-to-the-future problem. Our gadgets sometimes work a little too well. With their hard-drive memories efficiently backed up, it's my real-life memories that are hard to get rid of. And even harder to hold on to.

There's something so immediate about computer-age ephemera that I am sometimes tempted to call her cell phone number. I can't quite manage to do it. But I can't make myself delete it, either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last Friday, my mother would have turned 65 - old enough to retire, collect her social security, and start enjoying her granddaughters. She died long before I had a cell phone, or a phone at all for that matter. Sixteen years ago – which means that I’ve now lived as much of my life without her as I did with her. How I wish I had a save voice message so I could hear her say hello to me today.

SUEB0B said...

You are making me cry...